Thursday, November 19, 2009

So what's up with this "new radio" anyways?


As traditional radio currently stands, most people think it's hardly listened to anymore (outside of your car anyways). The transition to iPods and other mass storage devices/mp3 players as well as internet and satellite radio has most thinking that old time radio is on the way out the door.

Is it?

A survey conducted in 2006 claims that 51% of people have not changed their listening habits in the past 5 years or so when it comes to that ol' AM/FM we all know and used to love. In fact, 21% actually said that they listen to the radio more than they used to. But is that trend gonna continue? This survey is 3 years old afterall... right?

Yeah... yeah it is. 11% claim that they will listen to the radio less in the years to come. but 74% still claim that they "plan" to listen as much as they did back in 2006 when we all still used our MySpace accounts. AND, 13% of those surveyed claim that they are going to listen to the radio more. Maybe this means they just love radio, or maybe it means they fall into that "laggard" category we talked about in class that one day - it's anyone's guess.

Finally, maybe this technology shift isn't as much as a radio killer as we all thought. 42% of men and 41% of women (respectively) consider themselves likely to listen to the radio over the internet via live stream.

Keep them fingers crossed ClearChannel and ABC Radio (owned by Disney?!?!), I know I'll be doing the same...

*Data gathered from http://radio.about.com/od/miscellaneous/a/aa091706a.htm.

1 comment:

  1. I listen to last.fm and Pandora a lot at home, and on my phone. I rarely listen to CDs or iTunes anymore at home. When it comes to the car I listen to AM talk radio (KFAN) more than I listen to CDs. If I had Sirius or XM I would listen to that.
    My point is, I listen to more internet radio than the music I own and would listen to satellite radio if I had it. Interesting that most people still claim their allegiance to FM/AM.

    ReplyDelete